Sixteen faculty study carrels are available on the 4th floor of Library West.
They are assigned for the academic year by a lottery of eligible applicants who have applied using our online application form. Priority is given to those faculty in the humanities and social sciences who are on sabbatical leave and using the resources of Library West.
Faculty Study Room Policies
Library West has sixteen individually assigned faculty study rooms that are furnished with a desk, chair, and book shelf and that provide wireless internet access. The assignment period is from the end of the first week of fall classes through the end of the Summer semester. Any current University of Florida faculty member who is in social science or humanities fields and who is at the rank of Assistant Professor or above may apply for a study. Priority will be given first to those on sabbatical who are using the resources of Library West and second to those at the rank of Assistant Professor. The Library West User Services Manager makes study assignments, using a lottery if there are more applicants than studies in the priority categories. A waiting list will be maintained so that studies relinquished early may be reassigned.
- Faculty submit a Faculty Study Room Application Form online anytime by the end of the first week of Fall classes. All applications received by this date will receive equal consideration; they are not distributed on a first-come/first-served basis.
- The Library West User Services Manager maintains the database of applicants and makes assignments after drop/add in the Fall.
- Faculty assigned studies will be notified via email; assignees or their registered proxy borrower must pick up their key in person at the Library West Circulation Desk.
Guidelines for Use
- Faculty study rooms are available for use during all hours Library West is open.
- For security, study room keys may not be duplicated. There is a $35.00 replacement charge for lost keys.
- Names of assignees are confidential and will not be released without a court order.
- Library furniture from other locations may not be moved into study rooms.
- Library materials kept in study rooms must be checked out to the faculty member. Library employees regularly monitor study rooms and will remove any library materials not properly checked out. Library materials located in study rooms are treated the same as materials taken to the faculty member’s home or office; that is, they are subject to overdue notices, recalls, and other library policies.
- Drinks in covered containers are acceptable. Assignee is responsible for keeping carrel clean; housekeeping employees do not enter carrels to remove trash or to clean surfaces or carpet.
- Appliances that pose fire hazards – heaters, coffee pots, etc. – are strictly prohibited.
- Study rooms are not soundproof. Please be considerate of other library users.
- Lights should be turned off and doors securely locked when leaving the study room.
- Assignees should not leave valuables or personal belongings that may be stolen or damaged; the security of the study room cannot be guaranteed.
- Library privileges will be blocked if the key is not returned by the last day of the Summer semester. There is a non-refundable $35.00 replacement charge if the key is not returned when due.
- Faculty must remove all personal books, papers, and other belongings and return the key to the Library West Circulation Desk no later than the last day of Summer semester.
- Repeat violations of guidelines may result in revocation of the study room.